Peertube is a tool for sharing online videos developed by Framasoft, a french non-profit. It is an alternative to Big Tech’s video platforms.
The difference to YouTube is that it’s not intended to create a huge platform centralizing videos from the whole world on a single server farm (which is horribly expensive). On the contrary, PeerTube’s concept is to create a network of multiple small interconnected video hosting providers.
Since 2023, GEN Europe has deployed its own instance of Peertube. It has been adopted by staff and council and some working groups and projects.
Now we’re also offering Peertube for our member networks and ecovillages.
- An open code under a free/libre license
- Decentralized: A federation of interconnected hosting providers
- Peer-to-peer broadcasting
- redundancy (through federation)
- Ability to store videos externally (S3)
- Powered by other values that those coded into Google’s and Amazon’s ecosystems
You can click the buttons below to get more information about our costs and recommended donation details in case you are interested in using it, as well as checking our comprehensive documentation and contacting us.